Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Learning to be content

So lately I've been thinking about all of the things that we don't have for our apartment and how badly I want them. I've also been struggling with being content with what we have, because there are so many people out there who have so little in life. I really can't complain because I have a wonderful life. I married my best friend, have two amazing families that love and support us, and have some of the best girl friends I could ever ask for. Even though I want to buy the latest, prettiest things for our apartment, I know that the things of this world are worthless. 

[1 John 2:15-17]
 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love to the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world-the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life-is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. 
This verse is such a great reminder to me how unimportant the things of this world truly are. Even though it's hard for many people (including myself) to see this, in the end our earthly possession will fade away, but the love of God will remain forever. 

That being said, a girl can still dream right?! :) Let me give you some examples of what I'd currently love to buy for our place!

[ currently we are using Jordan's old plastic laundry basket from college, with one handle missing and one dangling by a thread ] 




Next, I would love if we had this simplehuman chrome trash can from Crate and Barrel:
[ instead we are using Jordan's black plastic garbage can from Target that he bought for college ] 





I would probably cry if we had this kitchen island from Crate and Barrel:
[ right now we are using (one more time) Jordan's plastic shelf from Walmart that his two older brothers both used when they were in college - do you think it's considered an antique yet?! ]  




Finally, I am in love with this media center from Crate and Barrel 
[ right now we have a metal table that was here when we moved in, that I decided to cover with a fabric since it wasn't the prettiest thing :) ] 




I know that some of you may be thinking that these are such small things that really don't matter. Or you're be thinking to yourselves why doesn't she just go out and buy them? The truth is that I would love to buy all four of these, but being newlyweds on a newlywed's budget we both know we don't need these items right now. We do know however, that we can put the money elsewhere especially since neither of us are working a lot right now. I can't wait until I feel like a real married adult, instead of a married "young woman" who is still using college items to decorate her apartment. I can't waitl until we are at the point in our lives when we can buy items like these and burn our college stuff :) Who knows when that time will come, but for now I am a real life example of "living with what you got" - literally. 


-JK 

2 comments:

Mary said...

A certain Kim we know has that island! LOL! You can go visit her, sit at it and pretend. Like I do. I have island envy too! But who knows... one day you might have a gorgeous house with a fancy island built in! Now that's my dream (and we own a house! hahaha! One is never fully satisfied. Dreaming is far too fun anyway!)

Melissa {www.grinandbarrettblog.com} said...

Hi Jillian! I found your blog and completely can relate! My hubs and I have been married for a year and a half and we were scraping by. The truth is, you will be shocked of all the stuff you accumulate over time. We had nothing, and now we have so much stuff just from sales, clearance, good will, it's crazy! It's good you're not letting yourself be discouraged. These things take time! Hey, if you'd like, check out my blog!

www.grinandbarrettblog.com