Thursday, March 14, 2013

DIY ABSTRACT NUMBERS CANVAS


I'm pretty excited to share this project with you all today tonight. I found these amazing old numbers at the Goodwill Outlet last week for only 53 cents! Yes, you heard me right, only FIFTY-THREE CENTS! I could not believe my eyes when I saw this set of 13 just sitting in a glass bowl. I immediately snatched them up and put them in my bag. I think they are old numbers used on church signs outside, do you know what I mean? The type of sign where they would slide them into their slots, and would say the church name and gathering time. Regardless of what they were used for, I LOVE them. At first I wanted to spell out a significant date, but when I learned that this set of numbers was completely random, I moved on to plan B. 

I keep seeing DIY versions of these abstract number canvases on Pinterest and was inspired to make my own. Although most of the ones I've seen are painted, I thought it would be fun to have something 3-D. I am so happy with how it turned out and it fits so well in our new apartment. Now I just need to have the hubby hang up our pictures ledges from Ikea so I can put it on display. 

I have a few other DIY projects that I'm going to be working on over the next few days so be sure to check back in to see what I've been working on! But for now, here's step by step pictures of how I put this canvas together.

You'll need:
-random assortment of numbers
-a canvas
-glue gun
-x-acto knife for trimming (optional)

see what I mean about their tops/bottoms being used for a church sign?

the whole group

numbers, canvas and glue gun

 arrange your numbers on your canvas however you'd like

make sure you are happy with the layout

once you are satisfied, glue numbers directly onto canvas 

if you want to go back and cut off any extra glue you can, but be 
careful that you don't cut the canvas!

voila! the finished product

This very well may be the cheapest DIY project that I've ever completed. Seeing as I had the canvas, glue gun and exacto knife, the whole thing only cost me, well you know by now...only 53 cents! I love DIY projects and I love them even more when they cost me less than $1. 

Happy Thursday everyone!
-JK 


No comments: