Monday, December 17, 2012

My HOME.

I know there have been lots of posts about what happened on Friday, but I felt compelled to write something of my own. I remember exactly what I was doing, where I was sitting and what I had for breakfast that morning. It honestly didn't seem real when the first news reports were coming through. The words "shooting" and "Connecticut" first struck me. But then, I realized it was so much more than that...it was children. Innocent, precious lives...lost forever. Even though we do not have any children of our own yet, I feel so connected to this issue, because Connecticut is my home. The thought of knowing that it could have been my hometown, or my family, was devastating. Even though I knew Newtown was no where near my family, I immediately looked it up, just to reassure myself. As I was doing this, I couldn't help but think about all the of the families who knew right away that sometime terrible had just happened in their home. Our pastor at church put it so well yesterday...that now more than ever we are anxiously awaiting the return of Christ. The world is indeed an evil and scary place to be in, but we can all hold tight to the fact that we won't be here long.

It breaks my heart knowing that 26 families are mourning the loss of a loved one. It breaks my heart knowing that 26 families will be unable to enjoy what is supposed to be the happiest time of the year. Like so many of you, our thoughts and prayers are with Newtown, CT. Let's make sure that we stand true to this promise that is being seen across Facebook and Twitter, and really pull through as a nation to pray for those who lost something so precious. Now more ever I can't wait to go home and be with my family and let them know how much they are loved. You never know what another day will bring, and I think we've all just learned that for so many of us, life really is too short.

No comments: